Product Manager, Consumer Products
The Product Manager contributes to NEEA’s strategic goal of filling the energy efficiency “pipeline” with new energy efficient products, practices, and services in collaboration with internal and external stakeholders focusing on consumer products. This position requires exceptional communication skills as the product manager communicates the value of energy efficiency and offers practical direction to a variety of organizations, including manufacturers, distributors, and installers, to encourage the development and deployment of efficient products, services, and best practices. The Product Manager tracks, validates performance, and designs strategies to accelerate the deployment of efficient products throughout the product’s lifecycle until the market is transformed. By successfully tracking and assessing the performance of products that meet utility needs, are attractive to end-users, and support a vibrant supply chain, product managers contribute to NEEA’s second strategic goal of transforming markets. Product managers work largely in cross-functional teams as a key contributor to new and existing Market Transformation Initiatives.
The incumbent will share our deep commitment to diversity and inclusion and advancing practices, strategies and policies that achieve equitable outcomes for all.
Salary Range: $105,000 - $112,000
As a federal contractor, NEEA requires all employees to complete their COVID-19 vaccination series or have an approved exception to the requirement due to a medical condition or sincerely held religious belief. Successful candidates for this position must submit vaccination documentation or be approved for an exception prior to their first day of employment. Failure to provide proof of full documentation or receipt of an approved exception will lead to withdrawal of the job offer.
Could This Be Your Dream Job?
Are you curious about how to solve complex market and product problems using new technologies and by creatively nudging the market to move in new directions? Do you enjoy mentoring people of all skills and backgrounds so that they gain new perspectives about their businesses and markets? Are you practical and patient, but still able to maintain an inspiring vision of what could be? Are you interested in working for a respected organization that enables access to corporate leaders around the country but is still small enough to see the direct impacts of your contributions? Are you interested in working for an organization where employees really do believe in the mission of the organization and help each other to achieve it?
If you answered yes to these questions, please read on to learn more:
The Typical Day May Include…
- Reviewing research on lab studies about new technologies that might be useful for helping improve the efficiency of natural gas and electric products in homes and commercial buildings.
- Collaborating with national and international standards and ratings organizations to improve product testing and labeling methods to accurately prove product performance and efficiency levels.
- Partnering with utility managers to share insights on the market and products that could help them meet their goals.
- Coordinating with NEEA program teams to develop and implement with limited resources strategic actions that change the market.
- Developing product plans and managing the contractors doing the work.
- Fostering and maintaining business relationships with manufacturers, distributors, and other market actors to increase NEEA’s market influence.
What Are You Good At?
- Developing long lasting business relationships.
- Communicating and collaborating to share your knowledge and co-generate solutions to complex problems.
- Learning and applying new information.
- Understanding how markets work and how to identify market needs and leverage points.
- Tracking products as they evolve through their lifecycles.
- Applying science and engineering principles to understand how products work and if they have the potential to meet their performance claims.
You Likely Have The Following:
- Exceptional communication skills.
- Balanced experience with markets and technology, and curiosity to continuously learn and apply new knowledge.
- Desire to share and work for a common purpose that has economic and societal benefits.
Your Education, Experience, and Skills:
- BA or BS degree in Engineering, Marketing, Business or related field required. MBA or Masters of Science/Engineering preferred.
- 5+ years of experience with increasing responsibility, preferably in new product development/introduction, and/or strategic product market management required.
- Demonstrated experience working with emerging technology, innovation or new product development, specifically identifying and developing strategies to overcome specific market barriers in the early stages of product life-cycle.
- Strong experience in market strategy development, including an understanding of market assessment, short and long-range forecasting, risk-assessment and management strategy
- Demonstrated complex project management experience required.
- Some supervisory or management experience preferred.
- Demonstrated experience with team leadership and facilitation preferred.
- Knowledge of energy efficiency, electric or electric utility business and operations, and/or Northwest energy markets preferred.
- Knowledge of process for creating Federal and voluntary standards preferred.
- An equivalent combination of education, experience and training that would provide the knowledge, skills and abilities required for the successful performance of the essential job duties will also be considered.
While NEEA’s office is located in Portland, Oregon consideration will be taken for applicants who may not be in the Portland metro area to work remotely. NEEA will facilitate ongoing off-site work arrangements for employees when such arrangements allow all business commitments to be met at the same level as if the employee were working in the office environment. We are happy to discuss our telecommute policies throughout the hiring process.